Re: PRR X-31A Truck and Underframe Color Question

Lawrence Rast

Fair enough, Bruce. I like your thinking on this one. It gives me
rationale for several of my cars that have FCC on the trucks. :)

Best,
Lawrence Rast

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@auburn.edu> wrote:

On Sep 7, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Lawrence Rast wrote:

Bruce,

What's your rationale for painting the trucks on "new cars that have
been built recently" FCC?

Thanks,
Lawrence Rast
That should be "on some new cars"...<G> in particular, cars built
using rebuilt trucks. On a new car, within a few years of building,
the FCC color of the trucks would still show. At any time after that
it wouldn't. Typically new trucks on a new car were black. As
always though, model from photos...

I do actually paint almost all of my trucks FCC, mostly because I am
too lazy to take them off the car when I paint it. When covered with
a grime color, the FCC is mostly hidden although some peeks through
to give a rust-like look. SO the intent there is not to make them
look like they were painted FCC, but to enhance the weathering and if
it looks like maybe some overspray from the car hit the trucks, so be
it!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith