Re: How long would there be PRR gons in pre-circle keystone paint?

Dean Payne

Thanks for enlightening me, Ben, I was just doing a search for
"pre-ck" and only found one hit. It's been a long time since I looked
at the different PRR schemes, and forgot most of what I read.
BTW, this is an NK3 scheme.
If you add the GS and GSd gons together, the Pennsy had more of them
in 1939 than they did X29s! I looked it up on the Keystone Crossing
Top 30 Classes site:
kc.pennsyrr.com:8080/forms/topclass/
Honestly, though, I don't know what the distinction is between GS and
GSd gons at that point, I understood that the drop doors of the GS
were sealed in the 30's, when they got AB brakes and cast trucks. I
now see that the GSd class disappeared after 1939... so maybe that's
when the drop doors were plated over. But, I don't see that the GS
class increased by as much as the GSd lost, maybe 2/3rds of the GSd
were scrapped?
And... I have TKM #4 with the GS gon article on CD! (I have all the
later ones saved on my hard drive, and forgot about the CD. Sheesh!)

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

Dean Payne asked:
"How long would there be PRR gons in pre-circle keystone paint? I
read somewhere that adoption of the CK scheme was pretty rapid, but
I wonder if my GS gon in pre-ck paint would be still be around a
decade after 1930."

I posted the following three years ago (Message #32040):
While pulling research for another topic, I came upon an article in
the Winter 1991 Keystone on a wreck between a B&O oil train and PRR
coal train at the crossing at Piqua, Ohio, March 29, 1942. Some
items of interest include:
<<snip>>
- A PRR Class GR gondola still in the NK3 paint scheme
(underscored "PENNSYLVANIA", discontinued in 1926). Car number is
obscured but possibly 27713n (legible digits '713', GR number series
PRR 274831-279853).

You didn't say which pre-CK scheme your model was in (NK3 or NK4),
but from the above photo, at least one gon in NK3 survived into
1942, so it's certainly possible.

Dean continues:
"I know, the brake wheel is on the wrong side, Nehrich says it's a
pain to fix."

Andy Miller replied:
"The Bowser is correct for very early cars before the standardization
of safety appliances."

Not exactly true. The Bowser body molding comes with the pre-Safety
Appliance Act arrangement, but the kit comes with AB brake
components, resulting in a hermaphrodite model. It's a pain to fix
because you have to carve off and replace the end grabs. Stan
Rydarowicz sells replacement ends without grab detail that speeds up
this task.

See Elden Gatwood and Jim Hunter's articles in the November 2003
issue of TKM for more details, including some excellent weathering
tips. This issue is no longer on the PRRT&HS website, but is
available from the society on CD.

Ben Hom