Re: Early train length laws

Jason Hill

Two 50-car trains will not fit in a 100-car siding... you're forgetting about the engine and caboose lengths. Two 50-car trains may fit in a 106-car sidings, or two 47-car trains may fit in a 100-car siding. Of course, that's if your talking about fouling lengths of the sidings which is what is marked in the timetables, not the additional signal viewing length required if searchlight signals are used.

Also I seem to remember that AZ had a 100-car law, so all the trains in AZ had to be no longer than 99-cars. Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if that law was updated before it was suspended in WWII and thrown out in 46.

Regards,
Jason Hill