Re: Thick decal material for protoyype patches sought

Greg Martin

Bill,

In my humble opinion the best way to deal with this is to simply trick the
viewers eye with a strike of India ink at the appropriate spot. Paint the
lower portion a slightly lighter color to bring out the detail and forget trying
to make an overcoat that simply mask/diminishes the detail. The area behind
the "bootie" along the side sill should be slightly darker. You will bring the
viewers eye to the emphasized detail.

Greg Martin

In a message dated 9/18/2008 10:57:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bwelch@uucf.org writes:

I know we usually want thin material but as a look to building two of
the new Westerfield ex-PRR R7 reefers as owned by FGE, I want to model
the "booties" that were added to the bottom of the steel bracing to
deal with their rusting out. I seems to me the best way to accurately
and neatly do this is layering decal material, and the thicker the
material, the fewer overlays I will need to apply. The thickest decal
material I know of is Champ's.

Does anyone have suggested for a source of the thicker material?

Bill Welch