Re: The best lighting for kit-building.

Manfred Lorenz

Ott-Lights are, I believe, fluorescent lamps. These have the
advantage of spreading the emitted light over a larger surface. Which
is good for the eyes too. For enlargement needing deteil work with a
loupe or so I use a flexible lamp with a 60 Watt bulb that I can pull
down to the work. There are large loupes with lights included which I
have but have not put up yet.

To simulate this effect outdoors why not put up a natural (not white)
canvas sail across the porch. That would tone down the brightness of
the sun and distribute it more evenly. Also a good protection against
sunburn, methinks.

Manfred

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jerryglow2" <jerryglow@...> wrote:

I used to host a small group of modelers to meet at my shop, go out
to dinner, then come back to build our own models at "work
stations"
around the room. One of them brought his own Ott light in a
briefcase
and set it up for himself. I believe these are available
commercially
and the bulb itself from Champ Decals.

Jerry Glow

&#92;--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Denny Anspach <danspach@> wrote:

Continuing a pleasant custom, I have been building resin kits at
our
summer home. I used to build them on the porch (a la Bill
Darnaby),
but the afternoon zephyrs prevailing in this country eventually
caused
me to retire to a cozy corner.

A continuing problem that increasingly plagues my modeling is
poor
lighting- lighting that no matter how bright creates blinding
shadows
and stark contrasts that commonly stretches 5 minute tasks into
maddening and quite tedious marathons.

I ask the good kit builders on this list what ideal portable
shadowless lighting, or lighting arrangements that they are
finding
ideal for their kit building work stations? Keep in mind that
older
eyes require higher light levels, and they are unable to
accommodate
to light level changes very well.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD