Re: "Different" flat load

Robert kirkham

That's interesting. I've seen similar loads also destined for Ford Motor Co. on the CPR and GNR, both near Vancouver, B.C. They must have been buying everywhere. See related photos at the Vancouver Public Library site: <http://www3.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/spe/histphotos/photos-search.htm> and search for 3692, 5941, 5941A, 4098, 4098A, 4098C. Now that kind of buying surge would surely skew your freight car distribution in New Jersey or Eastern USA wouldn't it! (personally, while the captions mention New Jersey, I could see those being a reference to the head office, and the actual destination could be the Rouge Plant or some other behemoth - can't recall when those were built.

Rob Kirkham

From: "devansprr" <devans1@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:19 AM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] "Different" flat load

While checking out the ice platform at monroe, I decided to browse the
other 400+ railroad pictures. Mostly tunnel construction along the GN
- amazing photos and a gold mine if you were modeling that line in the
late '20's early 30's. Lots of GN head-end power.

Not a lot of freight car pix, but this one caught my eye as something
I have never seen modeled. Everyone seems to be doing naval guns and
big structural steel as multi-car flat loads, but this is different:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/pickett&CISOPTR=1385&CISOBOX=1&REC=20

Hopefully the link works. If not, the neg number is Pickett 4473.

I wonder if these were for trestle bents?

Dave Evans