From: Paul Krueger
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:19 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pabst at the lettuce farm, 1931

Ron, the description says "Monroe, ca. 1931" meaning Monroe, circa
1931. I've often seen Wn. used to abbreviate Washington and I trust
what is on the photo more than what is on the web page.

Here is the series description for the photo collection these come from:
"The Lee Pickett collection of over 900 photographs documents scenes
from Snohomish, King and Chelan Counties in Washington State from the
early 1900s to the 1940s. Based in Index, in the heart of the Cascade
Mountains, he took thousands of photographs of that region. This
includes the towns and people of Index, Gold Bar, Scenic, and Sultan.
Local industries, such as the Heybrook Lumber Co. and Index Granite
Works, are also depicted. Pickett was perhaps best known for his job
as official photographer for the Great Northern Railway Company. A
large number of his photographs reflect the program undertaken by the
company in the 1920s to improve the line over the Cascade Mountains."

This series has many photos of the Stevens Pass line of the GN, but
unfortunately not many include freight cars.

Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@..., "Ron Smith" <rpsmith@...> wrote:

> Nice Pics, but that is not Monroe, Washington. Web Page says Monroe,
Ca, (California), but label on Pic says Monroe, Wn, (Wisconson).