State Abbreviations

Eric Hansmann

Dennis Storzek wrote:

That brings up an interesting point, does anyone have a link to a list of the state
abbreviations that were commonly used before the two capital letter codes were adopted? When I
try to Goggle the subject, I gat about a million sites with the new codes, not the ones used
previously.

I'm old enough to remember the older abbreviations (and they were written like abbreviations,
capitalized first letter and followed by a
period) but only the ones I used:

Illinois Ill.
Indiana Ind.
Michigan Mich.
Minnesota Minn.
Pennsylvania Penn.
Wisconsin Wis. or Wisc.

And my all time favorite:

California Calif.

Which everyone knew meant stood for "Come and live in Florida." Old joke :-)

As I understand it, the original state abbreviations never went out of style in writing, only
in posting letters. Here's a website with both styles of abbreviations.

http://www.stateabbreviations.us/

Steam era freight cars were built in nearly all of of these states.

For me West Virginia has been and always will be W. Va. It was also the original home of the
Ensign Car Works in Huntington, W. Va.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.