Re: Pabst at the lettuce farm, 1931

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dennis,

You might try looking for an older dictionary. Collegiate and larger dictionaries often had this information. The best place to look would be a university library in the general stacks, not the reference section (which would have current editions).

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff, library technician deluxe

Dennis Storzek wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I need to remind myself from time to time that our current Post
Office official abreviations are relatively recent, certainly well
past the steam era. There were no official 2 letter state
abbreviations in the era of our interest.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

That brings up an interesting point, does anyone have a link to a list
of the state abbreviations that were commonly used before the two
capital letter codes were adopted? When I try to Goggle the subject, I
gat about a million sites with the new codes, not the ones used
previously.
I'm old enough to remember the older abbreviations (and they were
written like abbreviations, capitalized first letter and followed by a
period) but only the ones I used:

Illinois Ill.
Indiana Ind.
Michigan Mich.
Minnesota Minn.
Pennsylvania Penn.
Wisconsin Wis. or Wisc.

And my all time favorite:

California Calif.

Which everyone knew meant stood for "Come and live in Florida." Old
joke :-)

Dennis