Re: Pabst Car

ATSF1226

Michael,
The Volstead Act or 18th Amendment allowed no Beer, Wine or liquor
above 0.5 percent Alcohol until after the 21st Amendent was passed in
1933. Each household was allowed to make a certain quantity of Beer
or Wine. Beer after 1933 was 3.2. And still is in some states. The
21st Amendment allowed states to set their own laws on liquor and a
number of them were dry. I think Kansas still is.

A lot of Beer makers just made something else. As I said earlier
Pabst made Cheese. There was still a demand for Grapes, Barley, Hops
and Corn in Canada so maybe some of the reefers were used for the
transportation of the raw materials to that area.

George A Walls

During the Prohibtion in the United States on the Federal
level from January 29, 1920 to March 22, 1933 ( this allowed 3.2 beer
and some wines) then December 5, 1933 when the The Eighteenth
Amendment was repealed with ratification of the Twenty-first Amendent
became law. How  were the beer reefers used? If leased, were turned
back into the leaseing company and used how ever needed?  If company
owned, were the sold off, placed into a lease to someone else? 13
years is a long time for cars sit around and do nothing.

MIchael