Re: Paint Failure on Outside Metal Roofs

Walter M. Clark

Walter M. Clark wrote:
I haven't been able to find anything about the early 20th century
(Harriman through USRA) and 1937 AAR house car roofs. Did these also
have the same problem?
Certainly the early 20th century galvanized roofs did; there
were repeated articles in Railway Age about it. By 1937, you'd think
paint methods were better, but of course for those later cars we have
photo evidence, and no, those roofs didn't hold paint too great either.

Publishers of books on railroad history
Thanks Tony,

A follow-up: regarding the 1937 AAR house cars, about how long, on
average (I'm only asking for a reasonably close guess here <g>) did it
take for the paint to begin failing? I'm (eventually) building
several Red Caboose 1937 AAR box cars, both corner types, and am
modeling November 1941. I know an almost new car would still have
good paint on the roof. How long would it take before signs of
failure would have appeared?

Time stopped in November 1941
Walter M. Clark
Pullman, Washington, USA