Re: Paint Failure on Outside Metal Roofs

Tim O'Connor

Tony, I've seen plenty of photos of box car roofs and they show
anything but uniformity. The paint could be removed from a roof
from sitting for a few weeks next to sulfurous steel mills in the
rain. Box cars roamed freely but not identically. So any two cars
from the same order could weather differently. And paint can
deteriorate in much less time than what you suggested.

Sure. But autos weren't galvanized in those days. Please recall
the original question. I do agree that there were regional variations
in weather type and intensity--duh--but free-running cars like box cars
tended to sample the entire range in their travels.

Tony Thompson