Re: Paint Failure on Outside Metal Roofs

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton wrote:
As far as I know this need for weathering is still accepted wisdom with conventional paint and while there are some fancy processes that overcome these problems I don't think they were terribly common in the steam age.
As it happens, Adrian, those "fancy processes" (or their predecessors) were established before WW I, and in the first 20 years of the last century you will find many, many articles in _Railway Age_ discussing how best to manage the painting of galvanized roof sheets. I too occasionally suffer from the delusion that only in the last few years has technology really been sophisticated, but despite that, I would dispute your apparent assumption that in the steam era, no one had any idea how to paint a galvanized surface.

Publishers of books on railroad history