Re: New HO scale 70-ton flatcar

Tim O'Connor

Owners include AT&SF/B&O/CNJ/DT&I/ERIE/IHB/NH/NYC/PM/WABASH.
And maybe GTW (not sure)

I found a terrific scan online of a CNJ flat loaded w/ autoframes.

My concern is -- will the car have sufficient weight? IRC makes
a 60ft modern equipment flat that is underweight. P2K solved the
problem by making a diecast underframe.

Tim O'Connor

The AAR 50 ton and 70 ton flat cars were entirely different designs.
The 50 ton car was based on the Union Pacific F-50-11 class of 1941;
the 70 ton car was derived from a series of cars with notably low
decks built in the early 1940s for the Erie. As noted by Ed Hawkins,
the sides were different and, I will add, the 70 ton cars had 14
stake pockets while the 50 ton cars had 15 per side. The four road
names of IM's initial introduction are all authentic, and other RRs
that rostered AAR 70 ton flats included the Santa Fe, New York
Central, and Wabash, models of which will doubtless be coming from IM
in later production runs. About the trucks I can't say anything
until I see them.

Richard Hendrickson