Al Kresse

From: "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...>
Al Kresse asked:

Why didn't "anyone" pursue that particular design? i.e. N&W, C&O and
then Virginian in their prototype or production 90-120-ton car
designs?
Al,

From what research I have completed on B&O coal cars, it appears
different railroads had different needs for the type of coal cars they
placed on their rosters. The B&O definitely settled upon the 50-ton
twin hopper as their "standard" coal cars. I don't have the memos to
document this, but this is implied from types of cars listed in their
rosters.

For what ever reasons the B&O had no interest in large capacity
gondolas. In fact, they had no interest in the USRA 50-ton twin hopper.
Although they received several thousands during the USRA era, they
immediately began building more of their class N-12 hopper at the
termination of USRA control even though the original design dated from
~1912. Large capacity cars for the B&O were the 70-ton ARA quad hoppers
received in the late 1920's.

Regards,

Bob Witt