From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 6:35 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: New HO scale 70-ton flatcar

On Oct 13, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Gene Green wrote:
How will the new Intermountain 70-ton flat car differ from the P2K
53'-6" flat car we already have?
Rich Orr replied:
P2K is a 50 ton car the IM is a 70 ton car.
True, but not helpful; and the underframe being a hair beefier is
pretty hard to see on a flat car. Should Intermountain actually tool a
70-ton truck, that would be a nice addition--but I'm not holding my
breath.
The AAR 50 ton and 70 ton flat cars were entirely different designs.
The 50 ton car was based on the Union Pacific F-50-11 class of 1941;
the 70 ton car was derived from a series of cars with notably low
decks built in the early 1940s for the Erie. As noted by Ed Hawkins,
the sides were different and, I will add, the 70 ton cars had 14
stake pockets while the 50 ton cars had 15 per side. The four road
names of IM's initial introduction are all authentic, and other RRs
that rostered AAR 70 ton flats included the Santa Fe, New York
Central, and Wabash, models of which will doubtless be coming from IM
in later production runs. About the trucks I can't say anything
until I see them.

Richard Hendrickson