Re: New HO scale 70-ton flatcar

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:12 PM, mcindoefalls wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Dave Nelson" <Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:

$30 for a flatcar?
Hey, it's ready to run and has a *real wood* deck! But seriously, the
Red Caboose SP flat was pretty pricey, too, although one might think
the tooling costs would be somewhat less than for a house car or
hopper.

Walt Lankenau

C'mon, guys, get real about prices. I have it on good authority from
a manufacturer who prefers not to be quoted that the cost of
everything in China - molding, assembly, packaging - is going up
rapidly, and gets higher every week. It won't be long before
assembled HO scale freight car models will be selling in the $40-$50
range. Remember a few years ago when a lot of modelers declared that
they'd never give $30 for a freight car model, even if it was from
Kadee. And there was such sales resistance that Kadee went broke,
right? And we all went back to shake the blue box Irv Athearn kits,
right? Ask any of us who've traveled overseas lately what the dollar
is now worth relative to other currencies (i'd add that we all know
who to blame for that, but our moderator proscribes political
comments). And then consider how much better the products we're
getting now are in accuracy and quality. $30 for an assembled flat
car? You bet, and it will be more next year. Get 'em while you can.

Richard Hendrickson