From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Robert
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:16 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Mineral Service on your Roads

Tech speaking, neither sand nor gravel are minerals. They, and coal,
are rocks. Rocks are composed of minerals. A mineral is a
geologically-formed solid consists one specific chemical composition
and can be an element like sulpher or a compound like feldspar or
quartz.

Coal is usually classed as a sedimentary rock (on the soft peat end
of the scale) to a metamorphic rock (on the hard anthracite end of
the scale).

Of course in the RR world, we usually refer to sand, gravel, and coal
transportation as "mineral" service.

Rob Simpson

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Dave Nelson"
<Lake_Muskoka@...> wrote:

Nobody has mentioned ordinary sand and gravel, which, after bit
coal, was, IIRC, the second most common commodity shipped in open top
cars... a fact that likely makes it the #1 mineral, as coal isn't a
mineral (it's combustable dirt) and most sand and gravel is. And
even better, virtual every railroad moved sand and gravel so such
loads can be used by almost everybody who has a layout.

A search thru the archives for the word gravel will turn up a
number of posts citing tonnages.

Dave Nelson