Re: New HO scale 70-ton flatcar

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

What you say about prices and China is true. But I've heard that some companies (not model railroad manufacturers, yet) are deserting China for Vietnam and other places, where the workers think they are well paid for 1/6 of the sweatshop wages Chinese workers get. Martha Stewart's furniture is already made in Vietnam. Remember that his happened in the 1970s with brass locomotives when production shifted from Japan to Korea. I would not be surprised to see lots of toy and model manufacturing move out of China in the next ten or so years.

I think that we can still expect prices to climb thanks to higher shipping and material costs even if production moves elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

C'mon, guys, get real about prices. I have it on good authority from a manufacturer who prefers not to be quoted that the cost of everything in China - molding, assembly, packaging - is going up rapidly, and gets higher every week. It won't be long before assembled HO scale freight car models will be selling in the $40-$50 range. Remember a few years ago when a lot of modelers declared that they'd never give $30 for a freight car model, even if it was from Kadee. And there was such sales resistance that Kadee went broke, right? And we all went back to shake the blue box Irv Athearn kits, right? Ask any of us who've traveled overseas lately what the dollar is now worth relative to other currencies (i'd add that we all know who to blame for that, but our moderator proscribes political comments). And then consider how much better the products we're getting now are in accuracy and quality. $30 for an assembled flat car? You bet, and it will be more next year. Get 'em while you can.

Richard Hendrickson