Roller bearings in plain bearing journal boxes

CBarkan@...

I have been away and am just now catching up on e-mail.

As I understand it the answer to Mr. Switzer's question is that hot bearing
detectors could not reliably do their job on roller bearings in plain bearing
journal boxes.

In a message dated 4/21/2 10:00:00 PM, rhendrickson@... wrote:

<<Queries Mont Switzer:

.... READ WITH INTEREST THAT TRUCKS DESIGNED FOR SOLID BEARING
JOURNALS CONVERTED TO ROLLER BEARING JOURNALS WERE OUTLAWED IN INTERCHANGE
SERVICE IN 1994. ANY INSIGHT INTO WHY THIS TYPE OF TRUCK/BEARING
ARRANGEMENT WOULD BE OUTLAWED, AND WHY SO CLOSE TO THE OUTLAW DATE OF THE
SOLID BEARING EQUIPPED TRUCKS?
No, I can't account for it. But maybe Chris Barkan can; IIRC, he was
working for the AAR at the time.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520