From: Bob Hainstock <boblh@new.rr.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Walthers Michigan ore car (NEW)
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 12:02 PM

While I will admit that I am somewhat glad that Walthers is

producing these 70 ton cars, I really keep hoping that someone

would mass-produce a 50 ton steel ore car, a much more common

car in the steam era of the ore operations of the Michigan

upper peniunsula ore operations.

I've heard rumors that Tichy was considering a car design that

C&NW, Soo, and DSS&A each used, I've not heard anymore about

that project. Is there any news on that front?

And yes I do have some of the excellent Westerfield GN cars,

also used by the Lake Superior and Ishpeming.

And a note of possible interest regarding the width of the

"Michigan" car. And okay I admit that this is outside of steam

era: the Wisconsin Central had to remove every other track in

the old Escanaba C&NW ore yard when the yard was converted over

to handling regular freight cars.

Bob Hainstock