Re: New Bulkhead HO scale 70-ton flatcar

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Ted Culotta's Speedwitch makes a Red Caboose M-26 to M-26d/e
conversion fkit and one bundled with a boxcar kit.

The troubles are:

(1) patent research by Bob Witt and myself show that the Duryea
underframe product evolved over time, and B&O always bought the
latest version.

(2) versions for hoppers and boxcars differ a lot.

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Does anyone make a Duryea underframe conversion kit? Or is the
best thing
to fake it by extending the coupler pockets?

Rich Orr

In a message dated 10/21/2008 3:21:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jmischke@... writes:

Prototype B&O W-7's had Duryea underframes, so the Accurail triple
bay offset side hopper is not quite right.

I did not help with that one. Nor the 1956 Athearn quad hopper.

--- In STMFC@..., Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@> wrote:

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, jim_mischke wrote:

After watching obscure ATSF and Missouri Pacific versions of
popular
car types come out because of some consultant's favorite
railroad,
it's
feels good to win one.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS Model Committee
Jim,
Uhh, what I don't quite understand is why there wasn't a similar
vague
reference to the obscure Accurail triple offset-side AAR 70-ton
hopper
car that was ONLY correct (albeit poorly rendered Z-sections on
the
ends) for 1,000 B&O W-7 cars produced in 1947. I've often
wondered
how
that "rare" car happened to be selected when there were other
superior
choices. Surely the decision wasn't made by some self-interested
B&O
modeler. At any rate, I'm glad you have learned the process of
how
get self-interest models produced. Among other good choices,
could
the
B&O version of the AAR 50-ton hopper car (a car that was built
in
huge
numbers) be far away? <g>
Regards,