Re: Duryea underframe usage

water.kresse@...

C&O cabooses also had Duryea underframes for a while. To "cushion" you need to generate heat or wasted energy to reduce/absorb longitudinal shock loadings. The Duryea spring system did get some sliding friction to absorb some of the energy . . . but not like a shock absorber.

Al Kresse

From: "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@yahoo.com>
I've been under the impression that the Duryea underframe was an early
form of what became known as a "cushion" underframe in the 60's. So I
can certainly understand its application to boxcars. And I suppose
some flatcar and gondola loads would benefit from a cushion underframe.

But I see that Duryea underframes were even applied to hoppers. Why?

Walt Lankenau