Re: Air Dump Car Question...

Jack Burgess

Robert wrote:

The cylinders would not necessarily have to at mid stroke with
the body in normal position. As long as the rod end ("Live End")
has a clevis that can act as a hinge that cylinder can be fully
retracted while the opposite side works. The same arrangements
would be on the opposite side.
When I read this last night and other comments about not seeing the piston rod at all except for when the body was being dumped, I thought that I'd need to rebuild my model this morning. But I finally understood Robert's answer (and Richard Brennan's comment) and realized that they are referring to a more "modern" design which uses two cylinders per side and the body rotates around the piston attachment points on the side not being raised. However, my model is of an older design side dump on which the body pivots on pedestals along the center of the frame. In studying the photos that I have, a portion of the piston rod is visible. (Unfortunately, I'm using an old MEW kit as the basis of the model which is correct size-wise but the body seems slightly too high off of the frame, exposing more of the piston rod than it should.)

Lastly, those dump cars used air. If the cylinder were not fully
retracted, that opposite side would be "spongy' and not support
the weight very well.
On the model I'm building, I'm guessing that both cylinders would need to be pressurized slightly (and thus working against each other) so that they were pushing against the body to keep it level for loading and travel. There were a pair of safety chains on each side from the body to the bolsters to keep the body from tipping in the case of loss of air pressure.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com