From: "Earl T. Hackett" <hacketet@verizon.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:41 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: A Great Decline

A new list member. I got into this conversation a bit late, but would
like to suggest a reason for the variation in the decline of the short
box cars. The lines with the least declines are all south west roads.
The cars were all wood construction. Wood lasts a lot longer in the
desert SW than in the relatively wet NE. With reduced demand there
was no reason for the NE roads to repair the cars while the SW roads
may not have wanted to spend the money to scrap them out.

Did any of the short car last into the 50s? A short car would make an
interesting addition to my car fleet.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "laramielarry" <ostresh@...> wrote:

Hi Folks

Among the larger railroads - those with over 10,000 box/auto/vent
cars in 1938 - one of the biggest percentage losers was the ERIE,
which went from 23,624 cars in 1932 to 10,533 in 1938. The NYC went
from 89,932 cars to 63,111 and the PRR from 93,414 to 76,123. The
ATSF "only" declined from 39,997 to 35,826; the SP from 27,105 to
24,398; and the UP from 29,851 to 27,624.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3557 (20081026) __________

http://www.eset.com