Re: 36' Fowler/Dominion cars and "almosts"...

Charlie Vlk

I don't know how they fit into the taxonomy of "Fowler" cars, but comparing the Fowler CN cars with a CB&Q SM18 36' stock car they are very close structurally and architecturally, varying
only in spacing of slats and placards, door style, etc..
They share the nearly the same steel side truss arrangement and have almost identical top caps over the end braces. The Q cars may just have these similarities by accident,
(they were built on underframes salvaged from early steel GS bottom dump gons) as the SM18s look like they evolved from earlier classes of composite and wood cars.... but the Fowlers look to me closer in appearance than other road's stock cars overall.
Charlie Vlk