Re: WOW- New HO rubber freight car brake hoses

Frank Greene

cobrapsl@... wrote:
Andy and List,

When?I first saw them at the NMRA National show several months ago, I was also "brown away". However, after experimenting with them for the last two weeks, I have to say there?are some issues. The big issue is their attachment. There is a "pin" that is part of the moulding that I am assuming is for their attachment to the underframe.

You are correct. See the video at http://www.hitechdetails.com/Hydra_Hose_How_To.html

...What I am presently trying to do is "marry" these hoses with the "new" PSC bracket casting and then I think we might at last have the FINAL answer to an age old problem. The problem with trying to mount the hose to the bracket is that the "pin" is now in the way. I am in the process of trimimng the "pin" down to a size where it will pop through the hole in the bracket, but not be able to back itself out----sort of like the way Kadee attaches parts on their PS-1.

Keep us posted on how this works out..

I am also trying all kinds of adheasives to see what will work with real rubber. Any thoughts here woud be greatly appreicated. On the completed car I used Cool Chem to mount the noses and that seems to have worked fine, but it is one of my least favorite glues.?I am?yet to paint them?to see if they will "hold" paint-I have my doubts.

According to the website "If using other than Plastic compatible paints, testing on a piece of scrap beforehand is highly recommended." I would think acrylics would have no problem. I'm not sure whether oils would react to the "UV resistant rubber material."

In closing, these are a far better idea than plastic or brass air hose if we can make them work.

I have a handful and don't see any reason they should be difficult to use. Time will tell if they are truly durable.

--

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN