Re(2): WOW- New HO rubber freight car brake hoses

Daiquiri St John <daiquiri@...>

Paul,
I received your post on the STMFC Yahoogroups mailout. Good post. I'm wondering if these hoses will do for passenger cars. I'm working on an Amtrak passenger train consist and i hated the usual magnetic hookup gadget under the couplers. This new airhose looks like it might work. But...are they for passenger cars or just freight ??? And took did you take any photos of your work ??? I'd like to see what you've done so far.

--Daiq

Andy and List,

When?I first saw them at the NMRA National show several months ago, I was also "brown away". However, after experimenting with them for the last two weeks, I have to say there?are some issues. The big issue is their attachment. There is a "pin" that is part of the moulding that I am assuming is for their attachment to the underframe. I have not spoken to Jimmy about this because I am?traveling?as usual, and again out of the country, but the "pin" has some benefits and some problems. The?"pin" is located?very close to the angle cock and thus when mounted the projection of the hose?from the end is no where near prototypical.?Great for operations, but?leaving a lot to be desired for prototypical looks.?However, I have one car completed this way and it looks pretty good. What I am presently trying to?do is "marry" these hoses with the "new"?PSC bracket casting?and then I think we might at last have the FINAL answer to an age old problem. The problem with trying to mount the hose to the bracket is that the "pin" is now in the way. I am in the process of trimimng the "pin" down to a size where it will pop through the hole in the bracket, but not be able to back itself out----sort of like the way Kadee attaches parts on their PS-1. It am also trying all kinds of adheasives to see what will work will real rubber. Any thoughts here woud be greatly appreicated. On the completed car I used Cool Chem to mount the noses and that seems to have worked fine, but it is one of my least favorite glues.?I am?yet to paint them?to see if they will "hold" paint-I have my doubts.

In closing, these are a far better idea than plastic or brass air hose if we can make them work. Please buy some, the more folks working on the issues the better.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA
--
Daiquiri St John