Re: Swift reefer colors

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

No. The yellow sides with red and white Swift emblem did not appear
until 1948 (?) or thereabouts - all I know is that is it too "modern"
for me. In the late 1930s through the war years, they had plain
yellow sides with black stenciling.

Ted's right; the earliest photo of a car with the rectangular red
Swift emblem is dated 8-49. Earlier cars, dating bacvk to the 1930s,
had "REFRIGERATOR" stenciled to the right of the doors and "SWIFT
REFRIGERATOR LINE" above the reporting marks to the left of the doors.

Richard Hendrickson