Re: Swift reefer colors

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rich Burg wrote:
The Burlington Bulletin #28 (I don't know the date on this copy) on page 61 has a lettering arrangement for Leased Swift cars, circa 1932. These were former PRR class RF reefers, leased from National Car, which in turn got them from parent company FGEX. It shows the lettering as black on a yellow car side. The lettering is the full sized billboard "Swift" with "Premium Ham" in a block centered over the Swift name.
This is, of course, a billboard scheme from the era prior to the ICC ban on such schemes. (Several similar Swift schemes are shown in the new book on billboard reefers.) But I believe the original poster wanted to know about post-World War II cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history