Re: a GATX prototype for SC&F tanks?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Rob Kirkham wrote:
Also, I think I have heard the Standard Tank bolster/saddle part described as a diaphragm. Maybe I'm wrong about that - its a vague memory. Any comments on the unique (I perceive) design used by Standard and the correct nomenclature for it?
Rob, it's a distinctive and even signature appearance, unmistakable as a Standard Tank design, but functionally not unlike other builders' designs, as a combined bolster and tank saddle. I've never heard it called a "diaphragm."

Publishers of books on railroad history