Re: a GATX prototype for SC&F tanks?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Larry Grubb wrote:
I am not familiar with the particular design in question, but when researching Type 21 tank cars, the correct nomenclature for the support at the center underside of the tank was "saddle" and the supports above the bolsters were "cradles". The tank was attached to the saddle and rested on the cradles, thus allowing for expansion.
No, the center support is a tank anchor and has been since at least World War I (see any Cyc issue). Though the sliding support at the bolster is indeed often called a cradle, it is equally defined (see any Cyc issue) as a saddle -- see definition entries under "tank saddle," etc.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Join to automatically receive all group messages.