Re: Hi-Tech airbrake hose installations

Robert kirkham

I'm not sure what lift ring product you have in mind Andy. Would it have the appearance of the prototype? If not, why use such a part with a fine scale detail part?

Rob Kirkham

From: "Andy Carlson" <midcentury@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:41 PM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Hi-Tech airbrake hose installations

Looking closely at the new Hi-Tech air brake hose, I don't see a need for the PSC airhose bracket.

The Hi-Tech part has a length of train air line of about 26 inches molded as part of the hose, and this hose has a mounting bracket cast as part of the hose with an angle cock shut off valve molded on as well. If someone were to use a small brass lift ring the air line could be attached to the side of the coupler draft gear box for a simple and very secure attachment. There would be no need to use the (redundant)PSC bracket. Other mounting locations, like to a small plate suspended from the end sill, could still be provided by using the same small lift rings as a mounting clamp. Glue might even be unnecessary.

It sure is nice to have these fine scale features in a non-breakable material.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA