Re: a GATX prototype for SC&F tanks?

Robert kirkham

OK - thanks for that. I used the word in conversation last weekend with a friend and got a strange look, so thought there must be a disconnect...

Rob Kirkham

From: "Anthony Thompson" <thompson@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:47 AM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: a GATX prototype for SC&F tanks?

Rob Kirkham wrote:
Also, I think I have heard the Standard Tank bolster/saddle part
described as a diaphragm. Maybe I'm wrong about that - its a vague
memory. Any comments on the unique (I perceive) design used by
Standard and the correct nomenclature for it?
Rob, it's a distinctive and even signature appearance,
unmistakable as a Standard Tank design, but functionally not unlike
other builders' designs, as a combined bolster and tank saddle. I've
never heard it called a "diaphragm."

Publishers of books on railroad history