Re: Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific boxcars

Robert kirkham

Ian, I wonder whether those renumbering guides allow one to trace pre-renumbering number series into the later series? And are copies available anywhere?

Rob Kirkham

From: "Ian Cranstone" <lamontc@...>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:39 AM
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific boxcars

On 14-Nov-08, at 3:31 AM, destron@... wrote:
Did DW&P freight cars ever undergo a renumbering? I found a builder's
photo of DW&P 30426, a 36' double-sheathed truss-rod boxcar built in
November, 1916, and am wondering if this might not later have
become part
of the 400800-401549 series of 36' boxcars listed in the April 1942
ORER.
It did. When the Canadian Northern system (including the DW&P) was
amalgamated with others to form the Canadian National Railways in
1918, the new system moved to rationalize the numbering systems of
its various predecessors. In December 1920 a renumbering guide was
issued for former Canadian Northern, Canadian Government Railways,
DW&P and Intercolonial equipment which neatly grouped equipment by
general type into new series. A second such guide was issued in 1923
to cover Grand Trunk and Grand Trunk Pacific equipment.

DW&P 30426 was assigned into the 4xxxxx series, which was reserved
for 40-ton boxcars, and this particular car was assigned DW&P
401013. A CN built date summary from the 1920s shows a built date of
October 1916 for this particular car, but I have seen stencilled
dates vary from the official recorded dates before.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net