Re: Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific boxcars

Ian Cranstone

On 15-Nov-08, at 1:20 AM, Rob Kirkham wrote:
Ian, I wonder whether those renumbering guides allow one to trace
pre-renumbering number series into the later series? And are copies
available anywhere?

The answer to the first question is yes, with some exceptions. For some reason some series acquired a few extra cars during the renumbering program that are not referred to in the renumbering guides, and in the case of tank cars, there was a change in plan between 1920 and 1923. For 95% of the cars however, there is very clear "predecessor line car # X becomes CN car # Y" information such as the specific renumbering that I gave yesterday.

My photocopies came from two different sources -- the Bytown Railway Society has an original copy of the 1920 version, which I was able to photocopy, and I received a photocopy of major extracts of the 1923 guide from Stafford Swain (I don't know who holds the original). I am led to believe that some other copies survive as well (if memory serves correctly, I think that Library and Archives Canada has copies of both as part of the Andrew Merrilees collection).

Perhaps one of these days when I have nothing better to do (don't hold your breath though), I hope to scan and pdf some of these more important documents

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net