Old news pieces and questions they raise.

destron@...

I've been going through early editions of Canadian Railway & Marine World,
and I found a little snippet that made me curious: how common was such a
thing, and why was it such a big deal?

This text is from the September 1917 issue:

"A press dispatch from Columbus, Ohio, states that the State Public
Utilities Commission and the State Attorney General are investigating
reports that the Toledo and Ohio Central Ry. and the Hocking Valley Ry.
have sold coal cars to the Canadian Government Railways. It is said that
John Kay, of New Brunswick, acting as agent for the Canadian Government,
has admitted that he has purchased 1,700 coal cars from the railways in
Ohio. The Attorney General is reported to have stated that he is prepared
to take drastic action to prevent another car from being sold for use in
another state or country, and the discovery that railways have been
selling cars to another Government, while urging as a reason for increases
in freight rates the need of additional rolling stock, is said to have
caused much amazement. H. E. Speaks, General Superintendent, Toledo and
Ohio Central Ry., Columbus, is reported to have stated that his company
has sold 250 cars to the Canadian Government, and that they are undergoing
repair at the company's shops at Logan. M. S. Connors, General Manager,
Hocking Valley Ry., Columbus, is reported to have denied that his company
has sold any cars recently, the last sale of cars having been made four
years ago."

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC