More Hoppers

Justin Kahn

Thanks to Richard Hendrickson for the ATSF lead on the offset-side quad with atypical doors; while I could wish there were an eastern or at least midwestern prototype,
I am glad to have at least one possibility. And I do have one ATSF triple hopper from the collection of the late Lorrell Joiner which I have been reluctant to strip and redo.

The other problematic Max Gray car is a rib (i.e., external) side triple hopper with rounded end extensions; I already owned a similar car with panelsides, apparently a C&O prototype, so I would assume the C&O had these, as well (some of which were presumably re-built with the panelsides). My question is whether anyone else had these cars? The Max Gray spotters guide shows the plain ribside version lettered for T&P, but model railroaders were not so fastidious about prototype 30+ years ago.

Jace Kahn, General Manager
Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.