Re: Pipe loads on the cheap

SUVCWORR@...

Dean:

For larger diameter pipe (24 - 36") I have used 1/4" or 3/8" copper tubing.
Cut it to length then use a vertical boring machine or a drill press to thin
the walls to a depth of 1/4 inch or so. This give a visually thin wall but
maintains the overall integrity of the pipe. Paint to match the color of the
company manufacturing the pipe -- US steel black, J&L steel tuscan, Armco
steel dk blue, anything from American Bridge was orange although that was
mostly structural steel for bridges. Not sure the correct color for Bethlehem
steel pipe. Also adds some weight to the gon. Brass or aluminum tubing would
work just as well.

Rich Orr

In a message dated 11/27/2008 11:02:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
1payne1@... writes:

I've got two pending resin orders, but I've noticed that I've got a
lot of empty gons. The W&LE served the South Lorain pipe works, so
I've decided to model a bunch of pipe loads. I can't afford to buy
commercial loads for all these without having to reduce my resin
order, so...
Are there any especially good sources for "pipe"? I've got a bunch of
coffee stirrers, of course, but I don't know if there is something
better. (Mine are a scale 35' 8" or so, 10" approx. OD) I seem to
remember seeing something about someone who found a source of
especially nice stirrers, but don't remember the source.
The pipe load from Life-Like (on sale at Walthers) looks too
thick-walled for my tastes (and a little too "plastic-ey").

Dean Payne

AOL.com.