From: Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Electrical Transformers
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, November 28, 2008, 7:31 AM

I, too, wonder about "brand identification" here, Bruce, but do

not seem to recall large transformers with square ends until into the

1960's. It may be a question of cheaper to fabricate just as it has

been with locomotive housing. I wonder, however, if you might have

overlooked the Stewart Products cast metal transformers with the

rounded ends. These may no longer be available but were offered for

years and made great loads for deep well center flat cars. One would

make a great pattern for additional castings in resin.

Take care, Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@... > wrote:

Folks,
In looking at the Walthers Northern Power and Light Substation, it
looks

like there are a number of transformers that might make interesting
loads.

My concern is that the main transformer has relative sharp
corners - ie a

very boxy shape. Many older transformers seem to have rounded
ends. When

did box shaped transformers come into use?
Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL