Re: Pipe loads on the cheap

Schuyler Larrabee

I've heard that term, yes. But it doesn't ring right on my ear, so I think there is probably
another term. "Pressure fitting?" "Pressure connector?" Something like that.


Are you thinking of a saddle clamp? These are primarily used to repair
breaks without removing the line.

Rich Orr

In a message dated 12/1/2008 9:33:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, <> writes:

Not necessarily. Both steel pipe and concrete pipe can be joined for some
non-pressure uses (drain
lines, for instance) with a band which is drawn tight around the pipe.
There is a specific
terminology for this, but I have forgotten it, if I ever knew it to begin


-----Original Message-----
From: <> [
<> ] On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 1:30 PM
To: <>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Pipe loads on the cheap

--- In <> <>
Mathu" <mark@...> wrote:
It is described as "steel pipe," and I agree that the walls are way
too thick for steel or iron pipe. And the pipes are too long to
represent precast concrete pipe.

The wall thickness of precast concrete pipe varies with the load it
is specified for, but as a general rule the wall thickness (in
inches) is about one greater than the pipe diameter (in feet). So a
2-foot diameter concrete pipe would have a 3" wall thickness, and a
6-foot diameter concrete pipe would have a 7" wall thickness.
Concrete pipes are usually 8 or 12 feet long.

Steel or iron pipe would have wall thickness measured in the
fractions of an inch. Lengths would vary from 20 feet (cast iron
pipe) up to 60 feet (steel pipe).
Don't most of these construction pipes have a bell on one end?


Yahoo! Groups Links

**************Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW
<;icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002> )

Join to automatically receive all group messages.