Re: Northern Pacific Lettering Changes

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

Richard,

Thank you for the reply. In the NP Classic Steam Locomotive book
their are a couple photos taken in 1939 showing the older lettering
on some double sheathed boxcars and that's what got me thinking about
this. So I'm guessing that by the early 40's at the latest we may
have seen cars lettered this way.

Thanks again,

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

On Dec 2, 2008, at 7:31 AM, railsnw1 wrote:

I have been trying to get a better understanding on the changes
to the
lettering on Northern Pacific boxcars. In looking through a
number of
photos from around the late 30's I'm seeing NP cars with the
arched "NORTHERN PACIFIC" and below it the car number only without
the "N.P.".

Does anyone have a time frame when this type of lettering would
have
changed to the reporting marks above the car number?

Richard, I have two photos of NP wood sheathed box cars with the
old
lettering which were repainted and reweighed in 1937, so that
stenciling arrangement lasted at least that long. However, the
9480-9999 series box cars had reporting marks above the numbers
when
delivered by Pacific Car & Foundry in 1937 (but no monad
emblems!) ,
so I think it's safe to assume that the change occurred at that
time.

Richard Hendrickson