Re: construction pipes

Donald B. Valentine

Isn't the vitrified clay pipe what was called, at least during
the steam and transition era, "Orangeburg" pipe here in the east?
I believe that name came from the fact that most of is seemed to be
manufactured in the area surrounding Orangeburg, South Carolina. As
I recall from sales and use of it in the 1950 - 1965 period the
length of a section was some ratio of its outside diameter.

While noted New Haven, and computerless, modeler Bill Aldrich and
I were picking up some items yesterday both the black "steel" and the
gray "concrete" offerings from Life-Like were viewed. The former
struck me as a total waste of time and money, especially at the price,
though the "concrete" pipe looked usable. Some straws might look fine
for steel pipe but painted aluminum is much better from the
perspectives of scale, overall cost and durability IMHO. Lastly, I
believe the length of the sectional concrete pipe was also determined
by some ratio of its outside diameter but wonder if some list member
might have something more definite on this.

On a different subject, Bill was looking yesterday for a 1948 era
school bus for his pike but we couldn't find anything that fit. Most
are too modern and the Jordan, I think, bus is too old. We did note
the new 1951-1953 Greyhound buses from Mini-Metals and one of those
might be used in place of a school bus if nothing more accurate than
what we saw can be found.

Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "paulbizier" <pa.bizier@...> wrote:

I'm surprised that some of the other engineers on the list haven't
chimed in, but, at the risk of moderation jail...

vitrified clay (sewer pipes) - most common during steam era -
typically only 4' long. Much of this was regional transport - each
area had its own VCP manufacturing companies

ductile or cast iron - look the same - 20 foot joints - rail
transport
typical then (and now)- various joints - bell and socket and
flanged
most common

transite (an asbestos-cement product) - typically 4-8 feet long -
usual for water main during 50's - smaller diameters, usually (say
less than 12")

PVC - not common in our era, but 10' to 20' sections depending upon
type

Hope this helps.

Paul Bizier

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@> wrote:

Aren't lot of these construction pipes (like the vitreous clay
pipes)
a lot shorter than 40 feet?

Wouldn't at least some of them be loaded in gondolas?

I'm guessing that they are too heavy for a man to lift (steal) by
himself.

Ed