Re: construction pipes


Isn't the vitrified clay pipe what was called, at least during
the steam and transition era, "Orangeburg" pipe here in the east?
I believe that name came from the fact that most of is seemed to be
manufactured in the area surrounding Orangeburg, South Carolina. As
I recall from sales and use of it in the 1950 - 1965 period the
length of a section was some ratio of its outside diameter.

This has been generically referred to as terra cotta pipe or slip joint pipe
in SW PA. Slip joint is what the plumbers call it because the sections just
slip together without any mortar, cement etc. More often than not they also
slipped apart resulting during the ensuing 30 -50 years in may house
laterals needing to be replaced.

Rich Orr
**************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.