Re: buses

Charles Hladik

Maybe the Jordan 1940's City Transit Bus (#244) would be a better option.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 12/3/2008 12:11:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM writes:

Oh, sure.?Detail a freight car down to the Nth degree, and run it on a
layout on which a Greyhound bus is being used as a stand-in for a school bus. That
would be like using a model eighteen-wheeler as a stand-in for a pickup
truck.

There are basically three kinds of bus: The school bus, the transit bus, and
the over-the-road bus or motor coach. Each is designed for a particular
duty, and seldom (I won't say never, because it has happened) is one?kind used in
place of the other.

School buses have been used as transit buses, usually by charter operators
who won the low bid to operate a municipal transit system and didn't have
enough transit buses, or by the municipality itself when they were starting the
system and didn't have transit buses yet. Substituting schoolbuses for transit
buses does not usually last long because of customer dissatisfaction. And of
course school buses have been run long distances, usually carrying teams or
bands, as though they were otr.

Transit buses have been used as school buses, and the practice is probably
more common then most people realize. Again, private operators are more likely
to do this, though most charter bus companies do not?have transit buses
unless, as noted above, they contract to run transit franchises.

Over-the-road buses are bigger and heavier then other buses because they are
intended to carry people in comfort over long distances. Because of their
size, they are not designed or geared for the frequent stop-and-start
requirements of school or transit buses, hence are relatively inefficient when used in
that service. It has been done occasionally, but again, is not cost
effective. The exception might be for express transit runs that do not make many
stops.

The problem that provoked the comment, of course, is that relatively few bus
models are available, even in HO. Model railroaders, especially the traction
variety, have little empathy for buses, hence the market is small. OTOH, a
lot of bus fans (Yes, Virginia, there are such people) are also rail fans.
Some years ago I was on a fantrip with members of the Motor Bus Society, and
sighting a train generated almost as much excitement as sighting a bus.

As late as 1952 I was going to school on a bus that was not that much
different then the Jordan model except that it was longer...we called it "the
rattletrap". Great was our surprise when one day it was replaced by a new Ford
bus...but we still called it "the rattletrap".

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL