Re: Cudahy meat reefers

Dave Nelson

John Hile wrote:

In the late 20's Cudahy is listed as having packing facilities in:
Fresno, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Bernardino, and San Francisco per
an ATSF Shipper's guide of the era.
In the steam era Cudahy's main slaughterhouse was in Salt Lake City and they
shipped beef and lamb sides to the west coast where the packing facilities
cut them up for deliveries to the local retail market. IIRC they also had
something in Denver but at this moment I do not recall if it was just
another packing house or a full slaughterhouse operation.

The Oakland packing house, and I think the one in San Francisco too, had
rail service provided by the WP.

Dave Nelson