Re: Cudahy meat reefers

Tim O'Connor

My understanding of the meat business is that there
were large slaughterhouse operations in the midwest,
and that whole sides of beef (& pork?) were shipped
to company "butcher-houses" in urban areas in the
east, south, west, etc. So why shouldn't Cudahy
reefers from Wisconsin or Iowa be sent to California?

Tim O'Connor

Now I am confused: I can recall seeing Cudahy meat cars on Chicago Great Western freight trains coming through Marshalltown, Iowa, and headed toward Oelwein, Iowa, the great CGW hub. I have no idea where those cars were headed, and I never suspected they were would be headed west to Utah and California, but I suppose it's a possiblity. Did the Patrick Cudahy outfit lease meat cars, too? If so how were its cars different in appearance from those of the California outfit?
Tom