Re: Reciprocal switching

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
. . . Why would a railroad short haul itself by giving another railroad the right to bill cars to its customers in return for a fee, unless that railroad in turn got the same deal for the customers of the other railroad?
First of all, the railroad isn't the instigator, it's the shipper, which can choose either road which serves it. Second, I don't see why you think this is a "short haul," because the load will probably go onward on whichever road is the originating road--at least I think that would be the shipper's logic.

Publishers of books on railroad history