Re: Reciprocal switching

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Perhaps the following is another case of reciprocal switching that is
a bit different from that note in the original inquiry.

In Memphis, TN, there is an industrial district called President's
Island which is a mass of land that was left behind by a large meander
of the Mississippi River. This district was switched in turn by the
railroads that served the city. That is, the SLSF would switch the
district for four months, then the Southern for four months, then the
IC for four months. Then the cycle would replay itself. A shipper
could choose the routes available in the tariff book that they desired
without regard of the switching railroad. The railroad switching the
island at any given time acted more like a terminal switching railroad
during its time on the island. I do not have any idea of how the
railroads split the switching fees, if there were any.

Not sure if this is any help at all in this discussion, but that is
what I would name reciprocal switching.

Cheers,
-- Bill Keene

On Dec 7, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

You got it, Gene.

What is meant by the term "reciprocal switching?"

I got the term off a list of industries in towns along the CGW. The
list apparently includes industries located along any of the other
RRs
in the town. Some are marked reciprocal switching - yes and some
reciprocal switching - no.

Does it mean that RR A could spot a car on the industry's siding
located along RR B?

Gene Green