Re: C&BT Santa Fe reefer question

Keith Jordan

I've got C&BT Shops kit R700, with 6' plug door,
4/4 ends, Preco fan plate on the side -- C&BT calls
this version "C1" whatever that means. The kits were
produced with the help of the SFMO and included is a
cross reference but -- I can't figure out exactly
which car is represented by this kit.

Looking through the Santa Fe reefers book, this body
looks very similar to some Rr-34, Rr-35 and Rr-40 cars
but none of the photos shows the exact combination of
ends and fan plate and door gussets.

So... any one know exactly what this kit represents?

Tim O'Connor
Tim and Others,

Here's the "key" to the C&BT versions: A,B,C,D,E all represent SFRD
classes with similar body styles, a "1" suffix denotes the body style
modernized, typically with six foot sliding doors.

A Classes Rr-19, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 32
B Classes Rr-33, 34
C Classes Rr-35, 36, 39, 40
D Class Rr-43
E Classes Rr-45, 46

Thus a C1 is an Rr-35, 36, 39 or 40 after modernization with six foot
sliding doors and electric fans. I hope this helps.

Keith Jordan